Skip links

Auto Shipping to Australia

Daiwa Logistics is an international freight agent. Highly experienced in all vehicle exporting and the process of Auto Shipping to Australia.

Load Ports

Moji, Osaka, Nagoya, Yokohama

Discharge Ports

Brisbane, Port Kembla (Sydney), Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle (Perth)

Estimated Time

16-33 days

Shipping Methods

Roll On/Roll Off (Ro/RO) & Containerised

Contact Daiwa Logistics for a Quote:

    Shipping to Australia

    Do you need a safe and reliable option of auto shipping to Australia? Daiwa Logistics is a trustworthy service provider of transport and logistics. We are a full package provider for our customers and manage any arrangements or difficulties they may face. Our experienced team handles the complete process at competitive rates. From pick up at an Auction House through Customs, Compliance and delivery. Daiwa can help private individuals for the first time. However, we also work closely with vehicle dealers that frequently import to Australia.

    Working with Dolphin Shipping allows Daiwa to offer a Door to Door service. The process requires experience and industry knowledge on import fees, customs, quarantine clearance. It can be stressful and costlyIn addition, Daiwa takes extra care to offer the best competitive rates, transport and service for our customers. Daiwa’s goal is to make the journey as smooth as possible. Daiwa also can help you with vehicles of any kind from heavy machinery, motorbikes, boats, motor-homes & more.

    How are vehicles to Australia shipped? 

    Two popular methods are Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO/RO) and Containers. Shipping via a Roll-On/Roll-Off vessel is the cheaper option. Roll-On/Roll-Off shipping allows customers to ship in high or low quantities on the same vessel. However, a container can be more practical for individuals relocating. It can be worthwhile if you fill the container up. Secondly, it is the safest option for those needing to transport their luxury vehicles. Whichever shipping option you go with, our team can quickly provide a solution

    Any restrictions when looking to import to Australia?

    Japanese vehicles have become very popular over the years due to their proximity to Australia. The Australian government has very imposed restrictions on the types of car’s Australia can import. Making it tougher but safer as high-quality car’s end up on Australian roads. Do you want to buy in Japan but don’t know where to start? Daiwa has a team of qualified exporters who can help you with the entire process.

    It is necessary for all road vehicles imported to Australia to have import permits. Below is a list of the Vehicle Import PermitsTherefore please read carefully before starting the process. For the most up to date information, please visit the Australian Government official website.

    Examples of vehicle import permits

    Classic Cars: manufactured before 1989. However, you will need to notify The Department of Infrastructure of modificationsThey will then decline or approve your application.

    Migrating to Australia: is authorised if you are relocating from overseas. The Australian government has formed an Import Permit specific for you to relocate. However, owning a car for over 12 months overseas is a requirement

    Enthusiast Cars: SEVS grants permission for Enthusiast vehiclesBut they will need to be on the SEVS list, which you can obtain on the RAWS Australia website. If the required vehicle is not on the SEVS list, you can apply to RVCS. RVCS can then add the make and model to the list. 

    Race Cars: not intended for public road use and only for racing have a special permit. Racing imports must present the details of the race and driver to obtain approval. 

    Temporary Imports: you need a Carnet de Passages. The vehicle will need to be re-exported back to the originating country within 12 months. A bond is a personal cost that you will need to cover. 

    Additional Import Permits: There are discretionary vehicle import permits, such as military forces and exhibitions. 

    Check the list above and choose an Import Permit category. Before auto import, it has to align with Vehicle Compliance and Import Regulations.  

    Dolphin Shipping Australia:

    RAWS Website: 

    Dolphin Shipping Australia will be able to assist with any questions you may have.

    FAQs – Auto Shipping to Australia

    Can I import if I'm not an AU citizen or permanent resident?

    Yes, anyone can if they meet import regulations. A visitor can import for a year by presenting a Carnet de Passage en Douane. It will need to be issued by The Department of Immigration and presented to Australian Customs. A Carnet de Passage en Douane is an international agreement allowing importation temporarily. Shipping with a Carnet CPD provides information about the car’s make, registration number and value. However, an auto import using a Carnet CPD may not be lent, sold, transferred or disposed of in Australia.

    Does shipping with Daiwa include marine insurance?

    Yes, marine insurance is included in the cost with Daiwa. Marine insurance covers the loss or damage of your vehicle on the vessel. The team at Daiwa regularly auto ship to Australia and believe marine insurance is essential. Because of this, we included it in our comprehensive package, helping us be the best freight forwarder for Australians. A high amount of vehicles on cargo shipments arrive without an issue. However, marine insurance protects you from financial and commercial loss should your vehicle be damaged. Daiwa takes extra care by preparing for every scenario.

    What documents do Australian Customs and Daiwa need?

    You will need to prepare documents required by Customs. Daiwa suggests preparing this information before shipping for the process to go smoothly. Documents should include invoice terms, sellers details and country of origin. As a guide, here are some of the documents you need to present to Australia:

    • Lodge an Import Declaration.
    • Pay a Customs Duty and a Goods & Services Tax (GST).
    • Owe a Luxury Car Tax if required.
    • Ensure there is no asbestos.
    • Complete a Customs Entry or Informal Clearance Document (ICD).
    • Present an air waybill (AWB) or bill of lading (BLAD).
    • Display invoices and other documents related to the importation.

    The above information is an essential part of the process. Missing any of the above documents may cause a hurdleIf you need more informationplease contact the government bodies below. 

    the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Communications: